|Died||1819 Buried 27th may 1819 in New Alresford, Hampshire|
The business of Banking began in Alresford in 1789 with one Edward Knapp who lived in St. Johns (now Ferndale) the house on the corner of Jacklyn's Lane and Pound Hill. He is described in the Universal British Directory dated 1790 as a grocer, corn merchant, chandler and Banker of Alresford. Edward Knapp owned a number of properties in the Jacklyn's Lane area and was a Burgess of the Town. He was elected Bailiff in 1794 and 1798. There is no exact date for the very first transaction but probably Banking began more or less naturally, growing out of Edward Knapp's other business concerns. In 1800 he took his sons into the partnership and the Bank became Edward Knapp, Sons & Co. In about 1820 Knapp, Sons & Co merged with Bulpett & Co of Winchester.
Copyright: Richard Mills - 200 years of Banking in Alresford. December 1989