As a boy Francis used to enjoy sailing with his father on the Norfolk Broads. This influenced him for the rest of his life, as later he sailed with the Old Orwell Corinthian Yacht Club. Afterwards he joined the Royal Harwich Yacht Club and was treasurer of that club for some time.
He was educated at Marlborough (Summerfield 1896-1901) and went on to Pembroke College, Cambridge where he took a 1st in Law and proceeded to his LLB exams, qualifying as a solicitor in 1908, having served his articles with Messrs Cobbold, Sons and Co. 21 Tower St. Ipswich and Messrs Sharpe, Parkers and Co., 12 New Court, Carey St., London WC.
He served in the Royal Garrison Artillery (Ipswich 176th (Suffolk) Heavy Bde in France in 1915, was promoted Major in 1916 and awarded the DSO in 1918 and was wounded in the leg. After the war he gave up the Battery and became a prominent member of the Conservative Party. In 1923 he was Chairman of the Education Committee in Ipswich and was made a Freeman of the Borough. He represented West Ward on Ipswich Council from 1924 to 1935.
Francis was Clerk to the Commissioner of Taxes for 20 years. He was also Clerk to the Upper and Lower Deben Internal Drainage Board and to the East Suffolk Rivers Catchment Board. Another position he held in his busy life was Registrar of the Archdeaconries of Suffolk and Ipswich. He was a Freemason of the Lodge British Union No. 114 (Ipswich).
In 1936 he bought Sproughton Old Rectory, now Church Close. He and his wife Beatrice (née Worthington) took part in many activities in the village and during 1941 Francis was Churchwarden. Beatrice was a member of the local WI and an occasional charity garden party was held at the Church Close. Francis died on 21st April 1947 and a memorial service was held at St Mary-le-Tower, Ipswich. Beatrice died on 17th April 1961. A while after her death the land behind the house was sold for building.